Fonds - Zion United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Zion United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1890-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Zion United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

13 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1925-1958)

Administrative history

Zion United Church had its roots in the American Presbyterian Church. In 1892, a church building was opened at Princess St. and Jackson Avenue. In 1898, the congregation merged with First Presbyterian Church at Gore and Hastings (now First United). Former Zion members left and re-organized as Knox Independent Presbyterian Church, and bought the old First Presbyterian Church building at Main and Cordova Streets. In 1902, the church members entered the Congregational Church of Canada and became Knox Congregational Church. A new building was opened in 1915 at Broadway and Woodland, and the congregation changed its name to Grandview Congregational Church. The congregation entered Church Union in 1925, as Zion United Church. The Rev. Charles E. Batzold served for 23 years as its first minister. In 1958, Zion and Trinity United Church amalgamated to form Trinity-Zion United Church. The Trinity building was used until a new church could be erected, at which point the name of the congregation was changed to Lakeview United Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Baptismal register (1890-1958), Marriage Register (1900-1958), and Burial Register (1949-1957); Board and committee records (1890-1898); and Membership rolls (ca. 1920-1950).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Source of acquisition and date of transfer not documented

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN ZI

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created July 10, 2018

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area