Zion United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Zion United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1925-1958

History

Zion United Church had its roots in the American Presbyterian Church. In 1892, a church building was opened at Princess St. and Jackson Avenue. In 1898, the congregation merged with First Presbyterian Church at Gore and Hastings (now First United). Former Zion members left and re-organized as Knox Independent Presbyterian Church, and bought the old First Presbyterian Church building at Main and Cordova Streets. In 1902, the church members entered the Congregational Church of Canada and became Knox Congregational Church. A new building was opened in 1915 at Broadway and Woodland, and the congregation changed its name to Grandview Congregational Church. The congregation entered Church Union in 1925, as Zion United Church. The Rev. Charles E. Batzold served for 23 years as its first minister. In 1958, Zion and Trinity United Church amalgamated to form Trinity-Zion United Church. The Trinity building was used until a new church could be erected, at which point the name of the congregation was changed to Lakeview United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created July 10, 2018

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC