Fonds - Zion United Church (Armstrong, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Zion United Church (Armstrong, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1990 (Creation)
    Creator
    Zion United Church (Armstrong, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.15 m of textual records
17 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Methodist Church services began in the Armstrong area as early as 1883. By 1891, the Shuswap and Okanagan Highway reached into the valley, and the population of the area grew, as did the Methodist church membership. An increase in church membership resulted in the building of the Armstrong Methodist church. The church was dedicated on December 11, 1892. The Armstrong Methodist congregation was originally part of the Spallumcheen Pastoral Charge which included Enderby, Landsdowne, Schuberts (or Round Prairie), Pleasant Valley, Vernon (then known as Priests' Valley), Mission and Grand Prairie. By 1896 the mission field of Spallumcheen was divided into two parts. Armstrong, Enderby and North as one point and the southern portion from Vernon southward, as the second point. In 1911 Armstrong Methodist Church became a separate charge. Presbyterian services in the Armstrong area date back to 1886. Services were originally held in the Armstrong Methodist church until the Zion Presbyterian Church was opened on January 5, 1902. The Methodist and Presbyterian congregations entered church union in 1925, with services being held in the former Presbyterian church building.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Zion United Church, Zion Presbyterian Church, Spallumcheen Presbyterian Church, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Enderby Presbyterian Church, Armstrong Methodist Church and Knob Hill Methodist Church. Records include Baptismal records (1912-1956), Baptismal stubs (1964-1980), Marriage registers (1919-1990), Burial records (1925-1989); Circuit register (1911-1925), Membership and Families list (1917-1935), Historic Roll (1888-1911), Communion Roll and Register (1911-1970) Elders Members List (1915-1918); Session minutes (1911-1990), List of Voters on Church Union (1925), Membership List for Elders (1950-1959), Official Board minutes (1917-1973), Church Council minutes (1973-1986), Trustee records (1902-1982), Congregational meeting minutes (1887-1964), Missionary Committee records (1912-1917), Building Committee minutes (1952-1960); Property and Insurance records (1977-1983), Property Tax exemption records (1989-1990), Zion United Church Hall plans (1960); Ladies' Aid Society minutes (1902-1925), Woman's Association records (1933-1949), Woman's Missionary Society records (1907-1949), United Church Women records (1956-1984); As One That Serves minutes (1947-1955); Sunday School records (1894-1952); Young People's Society minutes and accounts (1929-1948), Explorers minutes (1945-1946), Trail Rangers minutes (1921-1948); Choir journal (1943-1949), Junior Choir account book (1950-1959), Sunshine Mission Band records (1918-1934), Twinkling Stars Mission Band roll and minutes (1943-1949), Loyal Temperance Lodge minutes and roll (1915-1916); History and correspondence (1909-1969), Refugee family (1991-1993); Account book (1917-1959); Annual Reports (1893-1990).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were presumably transferred directly from Zion United Church (Armstrong, B.C.)

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-328

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

ARM ZI

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised January 28, 2015

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area