Fonds - William and Margaret Springer Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

William and Margaret Springer Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1890 - 1944 (Creation)
    Creator
    Springer, William and Margaret
    Place
    Salmon Arm
    Note
    Predominant dates 1890-1918

Physical description area

Physical description

3.3 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1881-1944)

Biographical history

William Oliver Springer [1881-1944] was born in Kingston, Ontario. As a young man he lived in Boissevan, Manitoba and Saskatoon, Sask. He trained as a piano turner, working for Glockler Piano Company for fifteen years.

In 1925 he married Margret J. Reid. When the couple took up residence together in Salmon Arm, W.O.Springer continued to work in piano maintenance in Salmon Arm. The Springers lived on Hudson Street.

Born in Ontario, Margaret moved to Saskatchewan. Margret Reid worked for James M. Toombs in Kindersley, Sask. When she moved Salmon Arm in 1914, she continued to work for Toombs. She then formed a partnership with dressmaker Miss Robinson (or Jean Robison) and opened a drygoods shop called Reid and Robinson on Alexander St.

The firm’s name was changed to Reid and Co. following Margaret’s marriage to William. In 1931, the business relocated to Front Street. Mrs. Springer operated her retail store on Hudson until 1956 when she sold her business to J.W. Glen and retired to her home on Hudson Street.

The couple had one daughter, Dora, who married E.A Tweeddale and lived in Trail.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of two day books with tuning orders and a private radio receiving station licence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

MS 98 (Salmon Arm Museum)

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres