Fonds - Westminster Benevolent Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Westminster Benevolent Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NWM

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1947 (Creation)
    Creator
    Westminster Benevolent Society

Physical description area

Physical description

35 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

As a result of a letter that Mayor Keary had written to the clergymen of every congregation in the City (City Council Minutes for December 15, 1902 and January 19, 1903), the Westminster Benevolent Society was established on January 14, 1903. Its purpose was to provide assistance to those residents of New Westminster who did not have the necessary resources to support themselves. However, all assistance was to be given in kind and money only in special cases. Thus this assistance generally took the form of provisions such as groceries, heating supplies, and rent. The membership of the Society included two women from each church congregation in the City as well as the Mayor as President and the City Clerk as Secretary. A Vice-President and a Treasurer were elected from among the members. The first officers of the Society were: Mayor W.H. Keary, President; Mrs. A.J. Hill, Vice-President; Mrs. Charles Warwick, Treasurer; and W.A. Duncan, Secretary. The Society received almost all its funding from a monthly stipend authorized by the City Council.

Custodial history

These records were transferred to the Archives by the City Clerk's office.

Scope and content

The fonds contains records created or received by the Society in the course of carrying out its responsibilities. The fonds consists of two series: minutes and financial records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to the records in this fonds is restricted in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid includes series and file level descriptions.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NWM-3775

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres