Fonds - Western Fuel Corporation collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Western Fuel Corporation collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1921-1928 (Creation)
    Creator
    Western Fuel Corporation of Canada

Physical description area

Physical description

.05 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1903, the Western Fuel Company, incorporated in California, purchased the New Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company, successor to the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1918, the company was incorporated under the British Columbia Companies Act as the Canadian Western Fuel Company Ltd. to give it a Canadian identity for tax reasons. In 1921, all company assets were conveyed to Henry Squarebriggs MacKay, a Los Angeles lawyer. A major change in the U.S. shareholders and the need for further financing necessitated the formation of a new company and resulted in the dissolution of the Canadian Western Fuel Company Ltd. In 1921, the new company, the Western Fuel Corporation of Canada Ltd. was incorporated under the British Columbia Companies Act and conveyed from H.S. MacKay. There was another reorganization in 1923 although the company name did not change. To differentiate between this and the predecessor company, company records refer to "Old Company" and "New Company" In 1928, the whole of the company's common shares were sold to Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir) Ltd. While operations were directed by the new parent company, they were carried on under the Western Fuel name until the closure of its mines by the exhaustion of the coal measures.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Receipt was donated to the Archives in 1993. Booklets were donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in an undocumented transaction and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993.

Scope and content

Collection consists of a a receipt from E.J. Wilson to Western Fuel Corporation for labour and materials used in the installation of water connection at the Wilson home at 395 Ninth Street, a booklet detailing the agreement between the Corporation and its employees (1927) and a booklet detailing the agreement between corporation employees and Dr. George A.B. Hall (1921). A manuscript annotation on the verso of the booklet reads "Exhibit No. 1 Hall vs. Lane, June 28/22, A. Forrester, Re[g]."

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-270

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area