Fonds - Wesley United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Wesley United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1886-1933 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wesley United Church (Vancouver, BC)
    Place
    Vancouver

Physical description area

Physical description

96 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1865-1933)

Administrative history

Methodist services began in Vancouver, following the recorded arrival of four Methodist missionaries in the Vancouver area in 1859. The Rev. Ebenezer Robson traveled from New Westminster to hold services for six Methodists in 1865 in the Hasting Mill cookhouse. Regular services began in 1867-68 at Hasting Mill and Moodyville (North Vancouver), led by the Rev. Edward White. A parsonage was built in 1874, and a church building was constructed on Water St. in 1875. The church on Water St. is recorded to be the first church building in the City of Vancouver (known at the time as Granville). A fire destroyed this church and parsonage on June 13, 1886; however the congregation held temporary services in a hall on the site of the former church.

In 1887, the property on Water St. was sold and the congregation divided into two: Princess Street and Homer Street. By 1901, it was clear that the membership had outgrown the Homer Street church and a new foundation was laid at the corner of Georgia and Burrard Streets, with the new church to be known as Wesley Methodist. Completed and dedicated by the end of 1901, Wesley Methodist is regarded as the lineal descendent of the first Methodist Church on Water Street, and the mother of many of the Methodist Churches that later sprang up in Vancouver.

Wesley Methodist Church joined church union in June 1925, and Wesley United Church was the site of the first conference of the United Church of Canada in BC in Nov. 1925. Following church union, a joint committee of St. Andrew’s United and Wesley United Churches, along with representatives of the former First Congregational Church and St. John’s United Church, was formed to consider an amalgamation of the congregations. In June of 1927, the members of the churches took a vote, and amalgamation of the Wesley United and St. Andrew’s United Church congregations was approved. Following the June 1927 approval, the two congregations had to decide where a new church should be built. An offer to purchase the Wesley church property was made in December 1928, and the sale was approved (though the Wesley church building was used until the new church was opened in 1933), as was the purchase of property on the corner of Burrard and Nelson Streets for the new St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church.

The amalgamated congregation continued to hold services in the two churches, with morning services in St. Andrew’s United and evening services in Wesley United. The new St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church building was opened on May 26, 1933. In May 1933, the Wesley Church was renamed City Temple, as the New Presbyterians and Independent Congregationalists continued to worship in the former Methodist church building. In 1934, the new congregation was unable to meet the costs of the building and ceased worship there. In May 1934, the former (1901) Wesley Methodist Church building was torn down.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Baptismal register (1911-1932), Marriage registers (1903-1933), Burial register (1911-1932); Circuit register (1886-1901), Membership certificates (1909-1912); Official Board minutes (1875-1930), Trustee minutes (1888-1930); Ladies Aid minutes (1916-1923), Woman's Association records (1917-1927), Women's Missionary Society minutes (1890-1899, 1911-1921); Sunday School records (1886-1894, 1899-1924); Young Peoples Fellowship (1926-1932).

Notes area

Physical condition

Some items fragile

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred from St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church at an unknown date.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church (Vancouver, BC) fonds
St. Andrew's United Church (Vancouver, BC) fonds

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN WE

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created August 30, 2012

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres