Fonds - Welch family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Welch family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-[ca.1925], 1965 (Creation)
    Creator
    Welch (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records;10 photographs;1 filmstrip

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Albert George and Isabella Ann Welch and their children ( John L.T. (known as Lance), Albert V.E., Juanita L. and one other son) arrived in Nanaimo in 1908. Albert Senior purchased a farm in the Wellington area, raised animals for the fur trade and opened a feed business in Nanaimo, originally sited opposite the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway station. This site was later exchanged by the Railway Company for another lot further down Selby Street located near the Railway tracks. Around 1912, the Brackman-Kerr Milling Company bought out his feed business. Albert and his youngest son Lance opened the Welch & Welch Confectionery at the corner of Bastion and Skinner Streets. Later, they moved the business into one of the commercial spaces available on the ground floor of the Commercial Hotel. Lance died in 1921 and Albert sold the business shortly after. Albert continued to raise animals for the fur trade at the Wellington farm but lived in the City at 129 Milton Street. The fur trade failed in the Depression years and Albert decided to retire. During the late 1920's, he served on the City Council and was the Police Commissioner for a time. After Isabella's death in 1939, Albert moved to Lethbridge, Alberta and lived with his son Albert V.E. Welch. The house remained in the family. Albert returned home to Nanaimo in 1947 and lived with his daughter Juanita and her family until his death in 1953.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of the Welch family. The fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Photographs; 2) Canadian flag materials and 3) Memorabilia.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available. Item level descriptions of photographs also available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-242

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres