Title and statement of responsibility area
Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company
Physical description area
9 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Co. Ltd. was registered and incorporated in England under the Imperial Joint Stock Companies Acts (1856-7) in 1862. The VCMLC took title to the Hudson's Bay Company's interests, including all mines, machinery, buildings, sawmill, wharves, land and Newcastle and Douglas [now Protection] Islands in September of 1862. Under the VCMLC, mining operations intensified. By 1864, the Company was selling building lots. The Company had no local major competition until 1871 when Robert Dunsmuir began development of the Wellington Mines north of Nanaimo. The VCMLC developed and operated the following mines: Old Douglas Shaft (1862-1886); New Douglas and Chase River Mine (1874-1886); Fitzwilliam Mine (1872-1882); Southfield Nos. 1 and 2 (1882-1894); Southfield Nos. 3 and 4 (1888-1901); Chase River No. 3 Pit (1886-1894); Esplanade No. 1 and 2 (1881-1938); Protection Island Shaft (1890-1938); Northfield Mine (1889-1895) and Harewood Mine [1891-?). The Company had a number of notable Superintendants and Managers including Mark Bate, Charles Nicol and Samuel Robins. In 1889, the Company was reorganized as the New Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company Ltd. In 1902, the Company was purchased by the Western Fuel Corporation of California which was registered as an extra-provincial company in December 1902.
Name of creator
The cash book, many of the administrative records and the transcript of the Bryden journal were donated to the Nanaimo District Museum in undocumented transactions and transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in 1993. The remaining materials were donated to the Archives by D.S. Isaacson in 1992 (1992 032 A) and Albert Diplock in 1993 (1993 048 A). Isaacson's father, S.V., was the Secretary-Treasurer of Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir) Ltd. and had collected the materials to write a history of the coal companies. Diplock was a member of the Nanaimo Native Sons and collected the materials during the years when the Native Sons ran the Bastion Museum.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records which document the operations of the Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company in the Nanaimo area. Photocopied materials predominate but the fonds also includes some original records. The fonds is arranged in three series 1) Administrative records; 2) Journals and 3) Financial records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions and file list available.
BCAUL control number: NCAI-105