Title and statement of responsibility area
University Research Forests fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1925 - 1986 (Creation)
- University of British Columbia. Research Forests
Physical description area
1.29 m of textual records and other material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Since the inception of the University of British Columbia's Dept. of Forestry in 1921, the forest surrounding the campus at Point Grey has provided a valuable outdoor laboratory. By the late 1930s, however, the inadequacy of the campus forest to serve as an experimental or research forest was recognised. Malcolm Knapp began to investigate new sites for suitably forested areas within a reasonable distance from the campus. A site near Haney was selected and in 1943 the area was removed from Garibaldi Park and leased to the University for a period of twenty-one years. The Provincial Government deeded the University Research Forest outright to UBC in 1947. An appeal to the forest industry in 1947 resulted in the provision of funding to construct living and working accommodations for forestry students, instructors and research workers in the Research Forest at Loon Lake. The first summer camp for forestry students was held in 1948. Students were required to complete four weeks of practical work at the Research Forest between their third and fourth year. In 1985 and 1986 the UBC/Alex Fraser Research Forest was established in the Cariboo region of British Columbia near Williams Lake. The establishment of this research forest served to address the need for research that was specific to the interior forests of BC, and also establishes another forestry camp.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records chronicling the history and development of UBC's Research Forests at Point Grey, and Haney, and B.C.'s interior (Cariboo) region. The fonds includes correspondence, reports, proposals, financial records, maps, surveys, blueprints, photographs, and meteorological data. The records also contain information about the operation of the Summer Camp for forestry students (1948-1986).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Fonds consists of institutional records – access requests must be reviewed by the University's FOIPOP Coordinator.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Online Finding Aid
Photographs have been digitized and included in UBC Archives’ Historical Photograph Database (UBC 16.1).
Other records relating to the University Research Forests are included in the Faculty of Forestry fonds.
BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-53
Includes: 4 maps, 2 architectural drawings, and 14 photographs.
Standard number area
Name access points
- Knapp, Malcolm (Subject)