University of British Columbia. Dept. of University Extension

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of British Columbia. Dept. of University Extension

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1936-1970

History

In the years before the establishment of the Dept. of University Extension (1936), the University of British Columbia was engaged in three main extension activities. These included the provision of vocational courses for returning soldiers (1917-1921), the dissemination of agricultural information to the farmers of the province through short courses, and the Extension Lectures Committee (1918-1935) which co-ordinated lectures by university faculty throughout the province. A Carnegie Corporation grant of $50,000 helped to establish the Dept. of University Extension in 1936. Robert English became its first director. Between 1936 and 1970, the department, first under English, then Gordon Shrum and later John Friesen, expanded the scope of its activities. The department continued until 1970 when, after a period of re-evaluation, the university changed the name to Continuing Education. This transition reflected changing public demands and a shift in emphasis toward professional and continuing academic education.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places