Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The UBC Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering is one of six departments in the Faculty of Applied Science carrying out engineering studies. Chemical Engineering was established at UBC in 1915, as the first Canadian chemical engineering program west of Ontario, and a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1954. Biological Engineering evolved from Agricultural Engineering and Agricultural Mechanics established at UBC in 1945. In 1975, the name and degree were changed to Bio-Resource Engineering. In 1996, the Department of Chemical and Bio-Resource Engineering was formed from the merger of these two separate departments. In 1999, the name was changed to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and reflects the growing need for engineers in the fields of biotechnology, biomedical and bio-resource engineering. The department has established a world-class reputation in several areas of chemical engineering science including fluid-solids contacting, pulp and paper engineering, heat exchanger fouling and, more recently, biotechnology. Several faculty members have won national and international recognition for their research contributions and many former students have gone on to become leaders in industry and academia in Canada and abroad. The Department's administration is represented by the Department Head, Associate Heads, Manager Administration, Systems Administrator, Secretaries and Financial clerk. Various workshop and stores personnel also complement the staff -- technicians, storekeeper and teaching lab assistant.