University of British Columbia. Centre for Continuing Education

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of British Columbia. Centre for Continuing Education

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1970-1993

History

The provision of extension services that would allow the University to reach out beyond the confines of the campus has been one of the goals of the University of British Columbia since its inception. It first provided university-level education to adult students throughout the province through the Extension Lectures Committee (1918-1935), and later through the Department of University Extension (1936-70). In 1968, a Senate Committee on Continuing Education, proposed the establishment of a centralized administration for extension programs, and a more integrated approach to continuing education. In 1970, the Centre for Continuing Education was established. The Centre administered and, in cooperation with the appropriate University faculties, developed and offered part-time degree programs, professional programs, and general interest programs, and provided personnel, facilities, and administrative support for them. Its Director reported to the President's Office; acted on the advice of the President's Coordinating Committee on Continuing Education; and was responsible for policy and program development, and the direction of the Centre in general. The Centre was also involved in experimental projects and programs focusing on community problems and the unique interests of adults. For example, in 1971 the Centre co-sponsored a conference on the 1970 Report of the Royal Commission on the Status of Women; this eventually gave rise to the Women's Resources Centre. Beginning in 1975, responsibility for credit courses was gradually transferred to Guided Independent Study (now usually known as UBC Access), and the Office of Extra- Sessional Studies. The Centre eventually came to be responsible for providing university- level, non-credit, continuing education in a wide variety of fields, including computer science, educational travel, languages, English for foreign students, humanities/sciences, urban planning, public affairs/lifestyles, and reading, writing, and study skills. In 1991 the Centre, along with Extra-Sessional Studies and UBC Access, was brought under the authority of an Associate Vice-President, Continuing Studies. In 1993 all three units were merged into one unit, "Continuing Studies".

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places