Trinity United Church (Port Coquitlam, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Trinity United Church (Port Coquitlam, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        History

        The history of Trinity United Church, Port Coquitlam is related to the complex history of the Presbyterian and Methodist work in Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and New Westminster. Occasional Methodist services were held in Maple Ridge as early as 1865, and in 1872-1873 a Methodist Church was built half way between Haney and Hammond. This area was included in the New Westminster Circuit of the Methodist Church until 1876, when the Maple Ridge Circuit was formed. The Maple Ridge Circuit included preaching points at Albion, Whonnock, Johnson's Landing, Mission, Port Kells, Matsqui and Dewdney. The church was moved in 1891 from the original site near the river to a property on River Road. This church was closed in 1926, and the congregation was split between new United Churches in Haney and Hammond. Presbyterian work began in Coquitlam when a congregation was formed as early as 1904, and met in the Westminster Junction Hall; by 1911, a church building was erected at Port Coquitlam, and was named St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. With church union in 1925, St. Andrew's Presbyterian became Trinity United Church, Port Coquitlam, and the Pastoral Charge also included a congregation at Essondale. By 1929, Trinity United, Port Coquitlam was put into a Coquitlam-Hammond Pastoral Charge, which also included Pitt River. From 1940 to 1948, Coquitlam Pastoral Charge was formed, and included Keary Street United Church in New Westminster. Then from 1949 to 1960, Trinity United was a part of the Coquitlam-Pitt Meadows Pastoral Charge. Finally, in 1961, Trinity United became a one point Port Coquitlam Pastoral Charge, which is how things remain today (2002).

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes