Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Trinity United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Trinity United Church has its roots in Wellington and Lantzville Pastoral Charges. After church union, Wellington United Church became a Pastoral Charge in its own right. Between 1929 and 1931, Wellington was affiliated with Cedar. In 1931, the Nanaimo Suburban Pastoral Charge was formed and included Wellington as a preaching point, as well as Lantzville, Brechin, Chase River, Cedar, South Wellington, East Wellington and Extension. By 1952, the yearbook listed only three points: Brechin, Lantzville, and Wellington. In 1959 Brechin built a new church and became a stand alone Pastoral Charge. Lantzville and Wellington joined together and formed their own Pastoral Charge, operating as a joint-charge.
In 1967 there were joint meetings consisting of members from both Wellington and Lantzville and in 1970 they became one congregation with a Council and four committees elected from both groups. Worship services were held in both Lantzville and Wellington, now as two parts of a single congregation. In 1977 the St. Philips U.C. building was sold to the Anglican Church and the congregation integrated fully with the Wellington U.C.
In 1975 plans began for an ecumenical center in between the United Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Wellington U.C. became Trinity United Church and, with Trinity Catholic Church, dedicated the Nanaimo Ecumenical Centre on February 4, 1979.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives