Fonds - Trinity United Church (Merritt, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Trinity United Church (Merritt, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1887-1997 (Creation)
    Creator
    Trinity United Church (Merritt, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

63.3 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Both Methodists and Presbyterians began work in the Nicola Valley in 1875. The Presbyterian church in Nicola, later known as the Murray Church, was built in 1876. The Methodist church in Lower Nicola, later known as the Turner Church, was built in 1896. In 1910, both denominations built churches in the growing community of Merritt (St. Andrew's Presbyterian and Wesley Methodist). Both churches entered union, but they did not amalgamate until 1927, when Trinity United Church (Merritt, B.C.) was formed by joining the two Merritt Churches, Murray Church (Nicola), and Turner Church (Lower Nicola). The congregation decided to use the building of St. Andrew's United Church (Merritt). From 1979 until 1982, when Logan Lake became a separate charge, the pastoral charge was called Merritt-Logan Lake.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Nicola Valley Methodist Mission which includes Turner Methodist Church (Lower Nicola, B.C.), Wesley Methodist Church (Merritt, B.C.), St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Merrit, B.C.) and Trinity United Church (Merrit, B.C.). Records include Baptism registers (1883-1927), Marriage registers (1920-1984) and a Burial register (1884-1920); Circuit register (1884-1927) and Communion roll (1904-1933); Session minutes (1918-1977), Board of Managers/Stewards minutes (1914-1977), Official Board minutes (1891-1984), correspondence and reports (1930-1964), Trustees minutes (1930-1964), reports and correspondence (1921-1930), and cash book (1930-1957), Congregational Meetings minutes (1914-1978); Trustee and Property records (1883-1891); Woman's Association minutes (1950-1961), United Church Women Bethany Unit account book (1948-1968), Woman's Missionary Society minutes (1945-1957), and Women's World Day of Prayer Committee minutes (1936-1979); Sunday School account book (1934-1964); Young People's Society minutes (1936-1941) and account book (1936-1943) and Hi-C minutes (1961-1962); Account books (1923-1961), Financial statements (1937-1953), and Mission and Maintenance Fund cash book (1948-1969); and Annual reports (1956-1997).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-199

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area