Title and statement of responsibility area
The Loyal Orange Lodge 1642 Royal Arch Purple fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- The Loyal Orange Lodge 1642 Royal Arch Purple
- Salmon Arm
Physical description area
2.4 cm textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Loyal Orange Lodge was a fraternal group connected to the Freemasons and named in memory of William of Orange. The Salmon Arm Lodge charter was granted April 10, 1894 with officers J. Irwin, Master, F.G McIntyre, Deputy Master, E. Hardwick, Chaplain, W. McIntyre, Rec. Sec., T. Atcheson, Fin. Sec., W. Miller, Treasurer, R. Davis, D.C, J. Savage, Lecturer. The lodge members were very energetic and built the Orange Hall in 1895. The hall measured 20 feet by 30 feet and was located on Front Street (currently called Lakeshore Ave.)
In 1895 the “Glorious Twelfth” celebrations were held in Salmon Arm with the Kamloops band in attendance. Celebrations were held at McGuire Grove, west of the wharf, where a baseball game between Kamloops and Salmon Arm was held. The final score was Kamloops 9, Salmon Arm 29. Consequently, a baseball craze swept the community and a meeting was held to organize a formal club. J. Irwin was chosen as the chair.
As reported in the Enderby newspaper the Edenograph, the group was meeting monthly in Salmon Arm in 1904. The association began paying taxes on the hall at the community’s incorporation in 1906. The Salmon Arm Observer reported that the building was purchased by Dr. Reinhard in 1910. It was later incorporated into the front of Salmon Arm Bakery.
The Salmon Arm Scrapbook reports that the L.O.L. bought another building built by John Johnston for auction rooms and remodelled the upstairs into a Lodge rooms and the downstairs into a hall. This building was on Palmer Street and the structure a landmark.
The Lodge mortgaged the Hall in order to build a kitchen and cloak room. The group rented out the hall for meetings, bridal showers, wedding receptions and small dances. The associated women’s group, the Ladies Orange Benevolent Association (L.O.B.A.), held whist drives followed by a dance.
A highlight of each year was the parade on the 12th of July when Lodges from the region gathered in one of the communities. In 1931 Salmon Arm hosted the event. Participating Lodges from Kamloops, Armstrong, Vernon, and Kelowna gathered at the Salmon Arm Lodge, lead by a high ranking officer on a white horse and paraded down Front Street and Alexander Avenue and back to the Orange Hall. Over 200 attended the event catered by the Women’s Institute.
Eventually Orange Hall was sold and meetings were held in individual member’s homes until the Salmon Arm Lodge disbanded.
By 1945 Mrs. A. Reid was the owner of the former Orange Hall and rented the facility to auctioneer C.J. Partridge. A transfer of ownership was not reported in the Salmon Arm Observer index. Under Mrs. Reid’s ownership a fire was reported in 1946 with $300 in damage to the Hall. The following year the property was purchased and an Auto Body Shop constructed by K.L. and G.E. Pryor from Vernon. According to Dave Harper, Senia Howard operated a flower shop on the site in the 1960s. The site was later occupied by the Dairy Queen.
Scope and content
The fonds is divided into two series and fonds consists of a ledger containing financial accounts, minutes, and annual returns.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description