Title and statement of responsibility area
Tappen Women's Institute fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA BCA MS-0386;HP86121
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Tappen Cemetery
- Women's Institute, Tappen, B.C.
Physical description area
25 cm of textual records;1 photograph
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Tappen Women's Institue was formed in 1916. The first executive was composed of Mrs. G. Sweeten was president, Mrs. J. Carlin, Vice-President and Mrs. Thomas Sweeten, Secretary-Treasurer. Other members included: Mrs. T. Reilly, Mrs. H.D. McDiarmid, Mrs. Henry Calhoun, Mrs. T. Farrell, Mrs. W.A. Kirkpatrick and Mrs. J.E. Wilson.
The Women's Institute was originally formed in Ontario in 1897 by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless, with its objective being to form an organization similar to the Farmer's Institute, where they could learn the best and most scientific methods of running a home. It has since changed to include community assistance, sponsoring projects such as flower shows, small fairs, school fairs, handicrafts exhibits, and health exhibits.
Name of creator
The Tappen Women’s Institute organized to undertake a project in 1917. The women wanted a cemetery and initially canvased the C.P.R. for land but were denied. They pursued property that had been occupied by the Granite Creek Fish Hatchery, but were denied again because the land was not the Department of Naval Service’s to grant. It had not been transferred to the Service by the Department of Indian Affairs. Eventually the group purchased land from Mr. Jacob Bolton and had the plot approved by the Department of Health.
The women raised funds by pre-selling lots to Mr. and Mrs. H. Calhoun, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Mobley, Miss A. Percer (Mrs. Magee), Mrs. W. Rogers, Mrs. G. Sweeten, Mrs. J.R. Reilly, Mr. T. Dondaneau, J.A. Wright, and Mrs. M. Smith (9 @ $10 each).
A layout of the cemetery was obtained from Harvey Stewardson, City Engineer, at New Westminster. The land was surveyed by E.O Wood (1918) and J. Heathcott (1932)
The initial price of single lots was $3. There was a discount for the purchase of 4 lots ($10). Burials began in 1920 and included David Smith, Hugh Brooke, and Kenneth Brooke.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of financial records, minute books, miscellaneous papers and a photograph of the Tappen Women's Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
BCAUL control number: BCA-136