Fonds - Stewart United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Stewart United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1923-1941 (Creation)
    Creator
    Stewart United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Methodist work at Anyox began in 1909. In 1916, a Union Church was organized under Methodist supervision. It became part of the United Church in 1925. In 1930, a congregation was established in Stewart as part of the Anyox-Stewart Pastoral Charge. After the mine at Anyox closed and the town declined, the charge became Stewart United Church. The population of Stewart was reduced with the closure of other mines in the area. For a time in the 1980s, a United-Anglican shared ministry, known as St. Mark's Community Church was attempted. The charge was finally closed officially in 1990.

Custodial history

The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials was in the custody of First United Church (Prince Rupert) until ca. 1980.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of a Baptism register (1924-1940), Marriage registers (includes civil) (1924-1941) and a Burial register (1923-1941); Stewards minutes (1930-1940), Official Board minutes (1930-1940) and Congregational Meetings minutes (1930-1940); and a Congregational cash book (1940-1941). Note that the baptism and burial records were begun by Anyox Circuit and continued through Anyox and Stewart United Churches.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Details of acquisition were not documented

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-226

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

STE ST

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised August 22, 2016

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres