Steveston United Church (Richmond, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Steveston United Church (Richmond, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In the early 1860s, both Methodist and Presbyterian ministers, stationed in New Westminster, considered the whole area, including Richmond to be their parish. Methodist Missionaries were instrumental in having a small church erected on the mainland side of the North Arm around 1870. This little church became the preaching centre for all denominations. By the middle of 1887 a small church was built at London's Landing, and this like the original church on the North Arm became a Union Church, used by all denominations. Methodist services continued in the London's Landing Church until the Steveston Methodist Church was built in 1894. The Presbyterians used the London's Landing Church until 1906 when the South Arm Presbyterian Church was built. By 1890 Presbyterians also held services in the Steveston area. These services were discontinued around 1912, and some families from Steveston attended the South Arm Church. In April of 1917, the South Arm Presbyterian Church made an approach to the Methodists to undertake a union of their work. They were particularly concerned with Steveston, where their work had been closed for some years. The Methodists rejected the proposal. At this point the Presbyterians decided that they must reopen their work in Steveston. In 1917 the Presbyterians acquired an old school building, using it as the Steveston Presbyterian Church. At the time of church union in 1925 the Steveston Presbyterian Church was closed, and the Steveston Methodist church was used for all services including Sunday school. The two existing congregations, Presbyterian and Methodist, came together in 1925 to form the Steveston United Church. From 1925 until 1961 Steveston United Church was part of the South Arm-Steveston Pastoral Charge. In 1962 the two congregations became separate pastoral charges.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC