Fonds - St. Stephen's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Stephen's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1958-2000 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Stephen's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

64 cm of textual records
11 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1958-)

Administrative history

In 1953, the area south of the Oakridge neighbourhood of Vancouver was growing and the Metropolitan Council for Church Extension purchased property at 54th Avenue and Heather Street with a view to establishing a new United Church congregation there. Survey work was done in the area, and in June 1958 a congregation was constituted, and an inaugural service was held at Trinity Baptist Church, where the St. Stephen's United Church continued to meet until November 1958. In November the congregation examined the results of their survey work and decided to suspend all activities until they could find a more favourable location for their development. In June of 1960, a portable church building was erected at 52nd Avenue and Oak Street. This was the home of the newly restarted St. Stephen's congregation for three years. In November 1960, the congregation purchased new property at the corner of 54th Avenue and Granville Street. In January 1962, the congregation voted to proceed with the building project, and Presbytery endorsed this action in June. The new church building was dedicated in November 1964.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following record series: Board and committee minutes (1958-1997); Women’s group records (1958-1997); Building and property records (1964); Church histories (1974, 1998); Annual reports (1958-1997); Statistical reports (1966-1994); Worship service bulletins (1996-1997); Church histories (1974, 1998); Directories (1981-2000); and Congregational financial records (1971-1976).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records transferred to Archives in 1978. Dates of subsequent accruals not established.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-270

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN SS

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised July 10, 2018

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres