Fonds - St. Peter's School fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Peter's School fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NWM

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1902-1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Peter's School (New Westminster, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual records;134 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. Peters School emerged from St. Louis College, a day and boarding school for boys, which was opened in 1864 by Bishop L. dHerbomez, O.M.I. The school building was erected in 1860 on Blackwood Street, New Westminster and it was conducted by the R. R. Fathers Oblates of Mary Immaculate under the patronage of the Right Reverend Bishop Paul Durieu, Vicar Apostolic of British Columbia. The purpose of the school, in the early years, was to impart a commercial and liberal education to young men. In 1917 St. Louis College closed and its students were taken in at St. Anns Academy. By 1925 the school had opened its doors again, but the students were taught by the Sisters until 1931 when four Christian Brothers were brought in to staff the College. These Brothers were let go during the Depression and the Sisters of St. Anns once again took their place. In 1937 the College became a parochial school called St. Peters. Boys and girls were to attend St. Peters for the intermediate grades and St. Anns for primary classes and high school. In 1941 the boys returned to St. Peters exclusively and the girls to St. Anns. These makeshift arrangements were finally made more stable when in 1954 the old St. Louis College building was replaced by a new school building for St. Peters. Father L. J. Sweeney was to be in charge. The new brick school was built by Doyle Construction at Merrivale and Agnes Streets and St. Louis College and its rectory were demolished. The new school was co-educational and St. Anns Academy became a high school for girls. St. Peters School was blessed by Archbishop Duke on October 10, 1954. St. Peters School closed in 1973.

Custodial history

The St. Peters School records were left on the doorstep of the museum in approximately 1985. It is not known who had custody prior to this date.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of textual records from the 1950s and 1960s and photographs from the 1900s to the 1960s. The textual records were created primarily through the activity of producing school yearbooks. Other textual material includes school letterhead, an award for accident prevention, and newspaper clippings about the school and its students.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions and a box/file list are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NWM-3765

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres