St. Luke's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St. Luke's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St. Luke's United Church began its life as Cedar Cottage Presbyterian Church in 1908, where the congregation first met in a small hall in the Cedar Cottage neighbourhood, and later in a tent on the new church property. A church building was opened in 1912. In 1925, with church union, the congregation became Cedar Cottage United Church. In 1965, Cedar Cottage United Church and Robson Memorial United Church were amalgamated, and the amalgamated congregation was renamed St. Luke's United Church. They continued to meet in the newly renovated Cedar Cottage church building. In 1970, St. Luke's United Church became an ecumenical church with St. Margaret's Anglican Church, sharing the leadership of the Anglican minister. In 1974, the St. Luke's building was rented to the Vancouver Japanese United Church, as the St. Luke's congregation worshipped with St. Margaret's. In 1978, the St. Luke's building was sold to the Vancouver Japanese United Church congregation, and the partnership with St. Margaret's Anglican was dissolved, as St. Luke's entered an arrangement with Grace Memorial and Renfrew United Churches for a year. In 1980, St. Luke's became a two point Pastoral Charge with Grace Memorial United Church. St. Luke's United Church was disbanded in June of 1981.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC