Fonds - St. John's Strawberry Hill United Church (Delta, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Strawberry Hill United Church (Delta, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on records in fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1921-2009 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. John's Strawberry Hill United Church (Delta, B.C.)
    Place
    Delta

Physical description area

Physical description

1.55 m of textual records
75 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1910-2009)

Administrative history

Religious services had been held in a rural area of Surrey known as “Strawberry Hill” since 1910, mostly in the old school house, and the congregation had been served by Methodist and Presbyterian student ministers. St. John's Strawberry Hill thus originated as a Presbyterian congregation and in 1922 built its first church in Strawberry Hill. St. John’s Strawberry Hill cooperated with Sullivan United Church (which had been holding services in the Farmers Institute Hall) in 1934, sharing services with a series of student ministers. From 1939-1942, the Presbyterian church allowed the United Church congregation to use St. John’s for evening services. In 1942, the agreement was terminated; however the Presbyterians discontinued their own services at St. John’s, and the church remained unused for two years. In September 1944, a petition drawn up by local residents was presented to the Presbyterian Church asking to rent or sell St. John’s Church for religious services. The United Church congregation bought St. John’s the following year for $800, and after considerable repair and alterations, was re-opened for services on May 6th, 1945. On July 1, 2009 this church amalgamated with Royal Heights to become Crossroads United Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from St. John's Strawberry Hill United Church. Records include Baptism, marriage, and burial records (1934-2009); Membership records (1934-2009); Board and committee records (1921-2009); Legal / Property records (1922-2005); Women's group records (1940-1995); Annual reports (1957-2009); Communications (1984-2009); and Church history (1944-2009).

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Records transferred from St. John's Strawberry Hill United Church in 1994. Remaining records were transferred from Crossroads United Church on November 13, 2009, July 26, 2010, and April 8, 2011.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions apply; see file list

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Colebrook Pastoral Charge (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-320

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

DEL SJ

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created Sept. 2002
Revised Sept. 2009
Revised July 18, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area