Fonds - St. James United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. James United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912-1992 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. James United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.34 m of textual records
9 photographs
3 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1912-1992)

Administrative history

At a meeting in 1912, the First Congregational Church in Vancouver decided to extend the work of their church into some outlying area of Vancouver. A building committee was formed for a church on property at 2627 Trafalgar Road. Due to financial difficulties, the church was temporarily closed in 1916, but re-opened in 1920 with financial assistance from parent churches. Kitsilano Union Church opened its doors on May 16, 1920 for its first service. The Congregation agreed to join the United Church in January 1925 and the name was changed to Trafalgar Road United Church. It was decided to move the church after Kitsilano High School was being built across the streeet. A lot was purchased at 10th Avenue and Trutch and the last services on Trafalgar Road were held on March 25, 1928. The opening services at the new location at 10th Avenue and Trutch were held on June 17, 1928 and the name of the church was changed to St. James United Church. In 1951, St. James Church became fully self-supporting and expansion plans became necessary. It was decided to expand northwards to 10th Avenue. Dedication of this new church took place on February 10th, 1955. The church continued to grow during the 1970s and 1980s.
In 1990, St. James Church endorsed the amalgamation of St. James and Kitsilano United Church into one pastoral charge of Trinity United Church. The service of amalgamation was held on June 14, 1992. Services continued to be held at both churches until April 1993, when the centre of the charge was determined to be at 2nd and Larch Streets at the former Kitsilano church building. It was agreed in 1994 to lease the property of the former St. James Church to a non-profit society to manage and operate the land as a multi-purpose community space known as St. James Community Square.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from St James United Church and Kitsilano Union. Records include Baptismal records (1913-1991), Marriage records (1920-1982), Burial records (1965-1992); Membership records (1920-1991); Session minutes (1920-1937, 1939-1960, 1977-1987), Stewards minutes (1938-1977), Board of Mangers minutes (1912-1930, 1971-1992), Official Board minutes (1931-1968), Congregational Meeting minutes (1930-1956), Building Committee account book (1954-1957), Education Committee minutes (1971-1981); Board of Trustees minutes (1962-1978); Worship Committee minutes (1978-1987); Sunday School minutes (1959-1970); Women's group records (1953-1976); Young People's Society minutes (1933-1935), Young People's Union minutes (1944-1945), Youth Hostel correspondence (1974), Youth Workers correspondence (1972-1974); Adult Day Care correspondence and reports (1974); Financial Records (1946-1959, 1991-1992); Property records (1980); Photo directories (1986, 1990); Annual reports (1954-1988); and Records of special events (1967, 1988).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred by St. James United Church in 1978, 1989, 1994. Additional records were transferred by Trinity United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) in two installments, 2013.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Associated material described in Trinity United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN SJ

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created January 21, 2015
Revised June 9, 2016

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres