Fonds - St. Giles United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Giles United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925-1998 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Giles United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
  • 1892-1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

4.03 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. Giles United Church began its life as Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church. A Union Sunday School had been meeting at 7th Avenue and Westminister Road (now Kingsway) as early as 1890. In 1891, a Presbyterian Mission was established at the Temperance Hall on 10th Avenue near Westminister Avenue (now Main Street). The Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Mission was formally organized in February 1892, and their first church was built on property between 7th and 8th Avenues on Westminster Road (Kingsway). Due to the rapid growth of the congregation, a new church was built and dedicated in January of 1910. The congregation voted to enter church union in 1925 and changed their name to St. Giles United Church. In the years following World War II, the southern area of Vancouver grew rapidly and St. Giles United moved to a new neighborhood on 41st Avenue, east of Cambie Street. The new church was dedicated in November 1949. In 1996, St. Giles and South Hill United Churches amalgamated to form St. Giles-South Hill United Church. In 1999, the name of this congregation was changed to Oakridge United Church.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church and St. Giles United Church. Records include Baptismal registers (1892-1996), Burial registers (1947-1996) and Marriage registers (civil) (1920-1996); Communion rolls (1892-1962), Communion registers (1963-1996), Historic Rolls (1947-1996), List of Families (1914-1919) and Members and Adherents Lists (Mailing Lists) (1965-1990); Joint Session, Board of Managers, Finance and Building Committees minutes (1909-11), Session minutes and Elder's Visiting Lists (1892-1925), Board of Managers/Stewards records (1893-1962), Official Board and Executive Council minutes (1938-1996), Trustees records(1948-1965), Church Hall Bills (1956) and Sale of Manse records (1986-1987), Specification of General Work for Sunday School Hall (1955), Congregational Meetings minutes (1893-1996), Christian Education Committee records (1957-1979), Christian Education Committee Family Day Program records (1962-1968), Membership Committee records (1966-1979), Finance and Property Committee records (1962-1987), Finance Committee Envelope Lists (1964-1983), Finance and Property House Committee records (1958-1975), Finance and Property Manse Committee records (1974-1988), Finance and Property Program Committee records (1970-1973), Building Fund Committee minutes (1904), Building Committee minutes (1909-1911), Pastoral Care Committee records (1962-1980), Personnel Committee records (1977-1984), Stewardship Committee correspondence (1970-1980), Mission and Service records (1963-1980), Worship Committee records (1961-1989) and Archives records (1963-1980); Legal/Property records (1948); Woman's Guild minutes (1904-1926), Woman's Auxiliary/Guild Directory (1905), Woman's Association records (1936-1962), W.A. Alpha Circle records (1950-1961), Woman's Foreign Missionary Society minutes (1900-1914), Woman's Missionary Society minutes (1914-1961), Woman's Home Missionary Society cash books (1905-1946), "History of St. Giles United Church Woman's Missionary Society" (church history) (1931, 1962), Woman's Missionary Society Alice Mitchell Auxiliary records (1919-1959), W.M.S. Supply Secretary records (1921-1938), W.M.S. Mary Corbett Evening Auxiliary records (1945-1962), United Church Women records (1962-1990), U.C.W. Child Adoption records (Christian Children's Fund) (1973-1983), U.C.W. Awalah Unit minutes (1965-1973), U.C.W. Harmony Unit minutes (1962-1968), U.C.W. Omega Unit records (1961-1982), U.C.W. Onward Unit records (1968-1982) and U.C.W. Trillium Unit minutes (1983-1989); As One That Serves (A.O.T.S.) records (1959-1981); Sunday School Teacher's Meetings records (1914-1981), Sunday School records (1939-1944); Young People's Society for Christian Endeavour minutes (1906-1912), Christian Endeavour Prayer Meeting Attendance Record (1903-1908), Young People's Union records (1940-1964), Kairos Song Book (1966) and Membership list (1974), Hi-C records (1961-1976), Canadian Girls in Training records (1962-1976), Cubs and Scouts records (1974-1977), Guides and Brownies records (1969-1976), Explorers membership lists (1967-1977) and Messengers records (1963-1974); Choir records (1941-1979), Couples Club minutes (1952-1980) and Pre-School Centre Group records (1962-1986); Vitalization Program records (1986-1988); Sermons of Rev. Dal McCrindle (1991-1995); Worship service bulletins (1949-1995); "Golden Jubilee: 1892-1942, St. Giles United Church" (chuch history) (1942), "St. Giles United Church, Celebrating 100 Years" (church history) (1992) and Fiftieth Anniversary records (1941-1942); Congregational financial records (1946-1956); Annual reports (1922-1996); Photographs, slides and artwork (no date); Newsletters (1985-1996); Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Monthly Vol. 1-3 (1913); Visitor's registers (1910-1986); and the Jean and Frank Crawford Collection (1958-1998).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred directly from St. Giles United Church in 1974 and 1992. Further accruals were received from Oakridge United Church in 2000 and the Jean Crawford family in 2011.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-291

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN SG

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised March 14, 2017

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area