Fonds MS 23 - St. Eugene Mission fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Eugene Mission fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA FTST MS 23

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • photocopied 1983 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Eugene Mission

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1874-1970)

Administrative history

St. Eugene Mission, located north of Cranbrook, B.C., in the St. Mary's Valley was established in 1874 and devoted its time to the religious training and social welfare of the Kootenay Indians or Ktunaxa. After establishing the mission, Father Fouquet was succeeded by Father Nicolas Coccola, who remained until 1905. Through Coccola's encouragement, Pierre, a Ktunaxa, discovered the St. Eugene claim at Moyie, B.C., in 1894, the revenue from which was used to erect a Church at the Mission in 1898. The Indian Industrial School was founded in 1890 by Fr. Coccola. The Sisters of Providence taught in the school until 1929, and in 1936 the Sisters of Charity of Halifax arrived, and remained until 1970 when the St. Eugene Mission was closed. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were stationed at St. Eugene Mission, devoting their time to various Kootenay communities and Ktunaxa reserves.

Custodial history

The records were given to Notre Dame University (Nelson, B.C.) in 1970 by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. When David Thompson University Centre (successor to Notre Dame University) closed in 1983, the records were sent to Fort Steele for copying.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of textual records of St. Eugene Mission from 1908-1970. Includes history, diaries, correspondence, financial records, Ktunaxa census lists, reports, programs, building specifications, clippings, and ephemera.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

MS 23

Institution identifier

Fort Steele Heritage Town Archives

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created 15 January 2011.
Revised by BCANS Coordinator 20 January 2011.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area