Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Andrew's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
- St. Andrew's United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
Physical description area
1.9 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was organized in 1888, with the support of First Presbyterian Church, which had been organized in 1885.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian was to serve the west side of Vancouver. A small church was built and opened in July 1888. The first minister was Rev. E.D. McLaren. Within a year, the congregation had outgrown the first building, and a new church on Georgia and Richards was opened and dedicated in May 1890. In 1904, a Sunday school building was opened, and in 1906, the church building was enlarged.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian voted to enter Church Union in 1925, and was the site on June 10, 1925 of the service of celebration of union for The United Church of Canada in B.C.
Name of creator
St. Andrew’s United Church was created when St. Andrew's Presbyterian voted to enter Church Union in 1925. It was located at Georgia and Richards, and was the site on June 10, 1925 of the service of celebration of union for The United Church of Canada in B.C. Shortly thereafter, a joint committee was formed with Wesley United Church, and St. John’s United Church (which included the members of First Congregational Church who had also chosen to enter union) to consider amalgamation of the churches serving the west side of Vancouver. The First Congregational Church building was given to the continuing Presbyterian Church.
In 1927, St. Andrew’s United Church amalgamated with Wesley United Church, and in 1928, new property was purchased for the new St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church on Burrard and Nelson, after the sale of Wesley United Church. The amalgamated congregation continued to use the two buildings, with morning services at St. Andrew’s, and evening services at Wesley, until December 1932. The new St. Andrew’s-Wesley church was opened in May 1933. The old St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church building, erected in 1890, was torn down in 1937.
Name of creator
St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church is a congregation of the United Church of Canada, a denomination formed in 1925 by the union of Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregational and Local Union Churches. As the name implies, it is the successor of two congregations, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian and Wesley Methodist.
Methodist services began in Vancouver as early as 1864, when Methodist missionaries recorded as arriving in the Vancouver area in 1859. A parsonage and church was built on Water St. in 1875. A fire destroyed this church in 1886 and temporary services were held in a hall on the site of the former church. In 1887, the congregation divided into two: Princess Street and Homer Street. By 1901, it was clear that the membership had outgrown the Homer Street church and a new foundation was laid at the corner of Georgia and Burrard Streets, with the new church to be known as Wesley Methodist. Completed and dedicated by the end of 1901, Wesley Methodist is regarded as the lineal descendent of the first Methodist Church on Water Street, and the mother of many of the Methodist Churches that later sprang up in Vancouver. A Presbyterian congregation was organized in a community schoolhouse in the 1870s. First Presbyterian Church was erected on Cordova Street but was destroyed in the 1886 fire. The congregation then moved to a larger centre on the corner of Gore and Hastings Streets in 1892. The building was enlarged and re-dedicated in 1906 and after 1932 became the home of First United Church. St. Andrew’s was also mother to a number of new Presbyterian Churches in Vancouver.
First Congregational Church held its first service on April 28, 1888 in Wilson Hall on the southwest corner of Cordova and Abbott streets. The congregation was officially organized on June 17, 1888. It secured property on the corner of Richards and Georgia streets, with the new church officially opening on December 8, 1889. The congregation split away to form Central Congregational Church over the issue of pacifism, but returned to First Congregational Church in 1903. Property was purchased at the corner of Thurlow and Pendrall Streets and a new church building was opened on November 9, 1912. In 1925, First Congregational Church became a congregation of the United Church of Canada and First Congregational was amalgamated with St. John’s United Church. The First Congregational Church building was given to the continuing Presbyterian Church.
On June 10, 1925, the union of the United Church of Canada was celebrated at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church on Georgia and Richards, with both St. Andrew’s Presbyterian and Wesley Methodist joining union. Following church union, a joint committee of St. Andrew’s United and Wesley United Churches, along with representatives of St. John’s United Church (which included the members of First Congregational Church who had also chosen to enter union) to consider amalgamation of the churches serving the west side of Vancouver. St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church came into being as the voted union of Wesley United and St. Andrew’s United Church in June 1927.
The first services of St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church were held on September 7, 1930, with morning services in St. Andrew’s church and evening services in the Wesley church, a procedure followed until December 4, 1932 (The Wesley property was sold in 1928, though it remained in use until 1933). The sale enabled the congregation to purchase a site on Burrard and Nelson streets. The “Cathedral Church of the United Church in B.C.”, St. Andrew’s-Wesley’s new building was opened on May 26, 1933, with Rev. Dr. Willard Brewing as first minister of the united congregation.
From 1976-1981, after a fire destroyed the St. John’s United Church building, St. John’s United became part of a two-point St. Andrew’s-Wesley-St. John’s pastoral charge, but the two congregations did not amalgamate. In 1981, with a new church building, St. John’s United again became an independent pastoral charge and St. Andrew’s-Wesley continued on as one of the formative congregations of the United Church in Vancouver.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating primarily to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, but also relating to successor congregations St. Andrew's United Church (1925-1927), and St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church (1927-1947). Fonds includes the following record series: Baptism, marriage and burial records (1889-1947); Membership records (1897-1903, 1927-1931); Board and committee records (1888-1930) Women's group records (1887-1932); Sunday school records (1888-1939); Youth group records (1912-1919); Annual reports (1891-1929); and Newsletters (1865-1871).
Immediate source of acquisition
Source and date of transfer to Archives not established, but received prior to 2002
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available. Online finding aid
No further accruals expected
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created August 17, 2017
Language of description