Fonds - St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925-1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.)
  • 1860-1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Nanaimo, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

75.7 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first Methodist services in Nanaimo were conducted in 1857. The original Nanaimo Circuit covered an area from Comox to Saltspring Island. Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Church was built in 1860. It was later known as Nanaimo Methodist Church and, after the Haliburton Street congregation became a separate circuit in 1892, as Wallace Street Methodist Church. Presbyterian services were first held in the Court House in 1865. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1866. In 1925, the congregation of Wallace Street Methodist Church and the members of St. Andrew's Presbyterian who were in favour of union joined to form First United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.). A large proportion of the Presbyterians voted against union, and court action ensued regarding the legality of the vote and the disposal of property. Legal counsel advised using the name of St. Andrew's, and for a short period, both names appear in the records. The final decision regarding the property was that St. Andrew's United Church would have the Presbyterian church and manse and that the continuing Presbyterians would have the Wallace Street property. This situation was the only case of union litigation in British Columbia. From 1966 to 1977, St. Andrew's was part of an area ministry known as Nanaimo Larger Parish or Nanaimo Combined Congregation, which also included Haliburton Street, Cedar, and the Chinese and Indian Missions. After Cedar United Church became part of the Nanaimo River Pastoral Charge in 1977 and the Haliburton Street property was sold in 1978, St. Andrew's continued in association with the Indian and Chinese congregations.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of three subgroups: Wallace Street Methodist Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) subgroup, including records of the Nanaimo Circuit and of Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Church, which continued as Nanaimo Methodist Church and Wallace St. Methodist Church; St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) subgroup; and St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) subgroup. Records series of Wallace St. Methodist Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) subgroup consist of Quarterly Official Board minutes (1860-1925); Trustees minutes (1860-1883, 1886-1926); and financial records (1909-1925). Records of the Sunday School (1916-1925) and the Young Ladies' Club (1924-1925) are continued by the United Church and are included in St. Andrew's United Church subgroup. Record series of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) subgroup consist of minutes of congregational meetings (1886-1911), Board of Managers (1886-1897, 1900-1944), session (1892-1911), and Woman's Missionary Society Auxiliary (1924-1925). In all cases, there is a distinct break between these records and similar series for St. Andrew's United Church. Record series of St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) include minutes of congregational meetings (1926-1966), Official Board (1925-1966), Session (1925-1934, 1953-1966), and Stewards (1925-1966); records of Sunday School (1925-1952), various women's organizations (1925-1967), and a young people's organization 1935-1943); and scrapbooks of press clippings (1932-1938).

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred directly from St. Andrew's United Church (Nanaimo, BC)

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

St. Andrew's United Church Collection, Nanaimo Community Archives

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-205

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

NAN SA

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised April 7, 2011
Revised August 23, 2014

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area