St. Andrew's Parish (Sandwick, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St. Andrew's Parish (Sandwick, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St. Andrew's Indian Mission Chapel opened in 1863. Services were conducted by a lay reader under the guidance of the "Missionary of Nanaimo and Comox Districts." Another mission at Comox, which was established for European settlers, was opened in 1871. The Church of St. Andrew, Comox was constructed in 1873 to replace a small church built in 1871 (destroyed by fire) and was consecrated on August 2, 1885. The Church of St. Peter, Comox was built in 1892 and was connected to St. Andrew's until 1913, when it separated. The Church of St. Mary, Merville was completed in 1915 at Grantham. "Sandwick and Courtenay" were combined with the parishes of Comox and Cumberland in 1917. Cumberland was separated in 1919 and Comox was also removed in 1921. (Sandwick and Courtenay remained paired.) In 1960, the parish included: St. Andrew's, Sandwick; St. John's, Courtenay; and St. Mary's, Merville. Fanny Bay and Cumberland were added in 1971, removed in 1972, then added again in 1982. In 2006, St. Andrew's is part of the Parish of St. John the Divine, Courtenay.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes