Fonds - South Hill United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

South Hill United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1932-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Hill United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

45 cm of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

South Hill United Church was formed in 1969 as an amalgamation of St. George United Church and Riverview United Church. However, St. George United Church, formed in 1932, was itself an amalgamation of South Hill United Church and Ferris Road United Church. In June of 1925, at the time of church union, both South Hill Presbyterian and Ferris Road Methodist Church voted to become United Church congregations. For some time, however, both congregations continued in their own buildings with their own ministers but in 1932 the two churches amalgamated to become St. George United Church. For several years, both buildings were used on alternate Sundays. It was a thriving congregation, too large to be accommodated properly in either building. In 1937 both the Ferris Road and South Hill Churches were sold. In 1938 the congregations moved to a new church building. The dedication service at St. George United Church was held on May 18, 1938. Presbyterian services began in the Riverview area in the early 1900s. Riverview Presbyterian Church was erected around 1913. In 1925 with Church union the church was renamed Riverview United Church. In 1968 Riverview United became a two point pastoral charge with St. George United Church. A year later, in 1969 the two churches amalgamated to form South Hill United Church and the Riverview United Church property was sold. South Hill United Church amalgamated with St. Giles United Church to become St. Giles-South Hill United Church in 1999. In 1999 the church was renamed Oakridge United Church.

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. George United Church was formed in 1932 with the amalgamation of South Hill United Church and Ferris Road United Church. In June of 1925, at the time of church union, South Hill Presbyterian Church and Ferris Road Methodist Church voted to become United Church congregations. For some time, however, both congregations continued in their own buildings with their own ministers but in 1932 the two churches amalgamated to become St. George United Church. For several years, both buildings were used on alternate Sundays. It was a thriving congregation, too large to be accommodated properly in either building. In 1937 both the Ferris Road and South Hill Churches were sold. In 1938 the congregations moved to a brand new church. The dedication service at St. George United was held on May 18, 1938. In 1968 St. George and Riverview united to become a two-point pastoral charge. In 1969 they amalgamated to form South Hill United Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from South Hill United Church, and St. George United Church. Records include Baptismal records (1952-1996), Marriage records (1968-1996), Burial records (1972-1996); Communion rolls (1969-1991), Membership list (1978); Stewards minutes (1963-1973), Official Board minutes (1967-1992), Congregational meetings minutes (1967-1992), Christian Education Committee minutes (1958-1970), Finance and Property Committee minutes (1973-1975); United Church Women minutes (1967-1981), United Church Women ledger (1970-1975); Worship Bulletins (1972-1981); Ledgers (1970-1977); Annual reports (1969-1996); South Hill Newsletter (1988-1995), unprocessed photographs and sound and moving images.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred to Archives in 1975, 1982, and 2019

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-392

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN SO

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised April 9, 2019

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres