Fonds - South Arm United Church (Richmond, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

South Arm United Church (Richmond, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925-1997 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Arm United Church (Richmond, B.C.)
  • 1904-1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Arm Presbyterian Church (Richmond, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.72 m of textual records
1 architectural drawing
1 sound recording

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1902-1925)

Administrative history

The Presbyterian Church began weekly services in South Arm and Steveston in 1902. A new church building at the corner of No. 3 Road and Steveston Highway was dedicated on May 20, 1906. Due to a shortage of ministers during the years of the First World War, the congregation began working cooperatively with Riverview Presbyterian Church (Vancouver, B.C.) and looked into the possibility of union with the local Methodists in 1916, before finally expanding into Steveston where the Presbyterian Church had for some years been dormant. South Arm and Steveston together became a self-sustaining two-point charge in 1917. The Young People's Guild raised money to build a hall for young people's activities, completed by volunteers in 1919. At Church Union in 1925, the congregation became South Arm United Church.

Name of creator

(1925-)

Administrative history

South Arm United Church has it roots in the Presbyterian Church. From 1917, it formed part of a two-point charge with Steveston Presbyterian Church. At Church Union in 1925, the congregation became South Arm United Church. Membership grew rapidly in the late 1950s, and a South Arm United Church Building Society was organized in 1958 to build a new church, completed in May 1959. South Arm and Steveston became separate pastoral charges in 1962.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds contains records of South Arm and Steveston Presbyterian Churches, and some records of the Steveston United Church, especially committees shared between the Steveston and South Arm Congregations before 1962. Holdings include: marriage registers, 1959-1986; burial registers, 1927-1929 and 1959-1988; membership records, 1918-1929 and 1969-1993; Session minutes, 1906-1964; Managers' and Stewards' minutes, 1904-1967; Official Board minutes, 1934-1969; Congregational minutes, 1904-1989; Council minutes, 1971-1993; minutes and records of subcommittees including the Building Committee, 1906, and South Arm U.C. Building Society, 1958-1959; the Joint Manse Committee, 1929-1963; Legal/property records (1958-1965); Records of women's and youth groups, including the Ladies' Auxiliary (Ladies' Aid), 1911-1952; Woman's Association, 1954-1962; Woman's Missionary Society; 1921-1932 and 1941-1960; the United Church Women, 1962-1969; the Excelsior Bible Class, 1913-1919; the Young People's Society, 1939-1943; correspondence and subject files, 1957-1988; worship service bulletins 1963-1993; financial records, 1953-1987; annual reports, 1960-1997 (1963 and 1985 missing); newsletters including the Celebrator, 1976 and 1988-1997 and Between celebrators, 1988-1993; Church directories, 1965-1982; and Sound and moving images, [198-?].

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred directly by South Arm United Church in 1981 and 1997
Additional donation of sound recording by Andrew Picard, 2019

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

RIC SO

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created February 15, 2017
Revised March 5, 2019

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area