The Shuswap Lake General Hospital Society replaced the former Salmon Arm General Hospital Society about 1957. It was formed to aid the financing of a new Salmon Arm hospital within new provincial hospital district guidelines, after the previous wood framework hospital was condemned. A three level concrete structure was constructed in 1958. A Nurses Residence, later a staff facility known as McGuire Lodge, was constructed on site in 1960. The process of securing funding and dealing with architectural plans for a fifty-six bed hospital occupied the first years. Major additions to the south for expanded services were completed in 1970. By 1977, plans were being made for further expansion, and by 1981 a seventy-five Intermediate Care facility was constructed on a leased portion of the hospital site. Master development plans in 1985 predicted a 156 bed hospital by 2001.