Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Mainline Co-operative, Salmon Arm
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
S.A.F.E., a business parented by the Salmon Arm Farmers' Exchange, was the first retail co-operative store in Salmon Arm. When its buildings on Front Street and Shuswap Avenue were destroyed by fire in 1956, the business viability was threatened. At a special meeting , November 21st, 1959, it was resolved to liquidate the assets to the newly formed Shuswap Consumers' Co-operative Association which was incorporated in 1958.
The 1960s was a decade of operational disappointments for the new association and at a special membership meeting in January 1970, amalgamation with the Revelstoke and Shuswap Consumers' Co-operative was presented.
On September 1st, 1971, Shuswap Consumers' Co-operative Association, by special resolution, became Mainline Co-operative.
The next five years realized sufficient growth to encourage the association to consider expansion. Feasibility studies were done and in 1976, the decision was made to build and develop a shopping mall on the perimeter of Salmon Arm.
On September 15, 1977, the Mainline Co-operative opened the Cedarvale Centre at the corner of 10th Street S.W. and 10th Avenue S.W. It operated at this location until 1986 when it closed its doors.