Fonds - Salmon Arm Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Salmon Arm Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA SAM

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1909-1983 (Creation)
    Creator
    Salmon Arm Women's Institute

Physical description area

Physical description

38 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1909-1992)

Administrative history

The Salmon Arm Women's Institute was incorporated November 15th, 1909 by Miss Laura Rose (now Mrs. Stevens) of Ontario, at a meeting of the Farmer's Institute in the Lawrence Hall on Hudson St., Salmon Arm. At this meeting, the motion to form the institute was made by two executive members of the Farmer's Institute: Robert Turner, president, and Jack McGuire, secretary. This branch was one of the oldest Women's Institutes established in British Columbia, and was the oldest in the interior.

The original executive was composed of Mrs. Gertie Buchan as President, and Mrs. J.D. McGuire as Secretary-Treasurer. Others signing as charter members were: Miss Hannah Evans, Mrs. R. Turner, Mrs. Pat Owens, Mrs. W.P. Rich, Miss Frances Evans, Mrs. S.M. McGuire, Mrs. James Carlin and Mrs. George Armstrong. Joining early in 1910 were Mrs. John Dolan, Mrs. Ham Donnelly, Mrs. William Ball, Mrs. Jim Miller, Miss Laura Wilcox, and Mrs. F.B. Shaw.

The Women's Institute was originally formed in Ontario in 1897 by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless, with its objective being to form an organization similar to the Farmer's Institute, where they could learn the best and most scientific methods of running a home. It has since changed to include community assistance, sponsoring projects such as flower shows, small fairs, school fairs, handicrafts exhibits, and health exhibits.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes and membership records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: SAM-371

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres