Title and statement of responsibility area
Salmon Arm General Hospital Society fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Salmon Arm General Hospital
- Salmon Arm
Physical description area
6.5 cm textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
A proposal in June 1912 for the financing of a general hospital by the Women’s Auxiliary of the Salmon General Hospital Board to the “Men’s Hospital Board” resulted in securing temporary quarters in Mrs. McVicker’s house, to be run by a Victorian Order nurse. It was to take the place of the old cottage hospital run by Mrs. Campbell.
By 1913, The Salmon Arm General Hospital Society was formed, with a Board of Directors. A design for a new hospital building was submitted by architect W. Austin S. Richards, of Kamloops, for a site purchased from Nels Eckland and tenders were discussed but rejected in late 1913. However, by early 1915, the Salmon Arm General Hospital removed to the former bungalow of Canon Webb on Fourth Avenue.
A public meeting in 1915 was held and a provisional construction committee was formed. A new constitution, a $2.00 membership fee, and an annual board of directors was adopted with the objective of raising $25,000 with half to be obtained from Government and half by public subscription. However, in June 1921, authorization was given to purchase the existing hospital site from the Parish of St John.
Plans for a new hospital plans languished as new funding arrangements were discussed. A public meeting in 1926 discussed the change from the proposed brick building to a wood frame structure in the new architect’s plans, and changes were made by the Board to reduce costs. By November 1927 a sixteen bed hospital was completed by the contractor, William (Bill) Reader, who in 1929 also expanded a nurses’ residence, added a verandah, remodelled an unused laundry space to accommodate an “Indian ward”, and improved the sewer drainage.
Donations from organizations and individuals, as well as patient usage charges, financed the various hospital sites until provincial insurance came into effect in January 1949. Individual inability to pay resulted in a local hospital insurance scheme. Families paid twelve dollars a year to provide for a hospital stay no longer than three months in a public ward.
By the early 1950’s the old wooden building was operating beyond capacity and considered a firetrap. Salmon Arm Hospital Board trustees felt that forming a district in the new provincial Hospital Improvement scheme was the only means to finance a new structure. A massive task of contacting every taxpayer and landowner was undertaken and ultimately was supported by a majority vote in favour of forming a Hospital District and plans for a new hospital, to be called the Shuswap Lake General Hospital, were begun. A new organizational framework for the new hospital became the Shuswap Lake General Hospital Society.
Scope and content
The fonds is divided into three series and consists of a record book , financial statements/auditor reports, and ephemera.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier