An organizational meeting was held in the Court House, Salmon Arm, B.C., 2 December, 1948 with 31 people in attendance. A slate of officers was nominated and accepted by acclamation. The constitution of the Vernon Horticultural Society was read and those present voted to adopt the Vernon Constitution. Membership fees were set at one dollar per year/one dollar and fifty cents per year for two or more members of one family.
The first executive meeting was held 15 December, 1947 and the first general meeting was held 24 February, 1949. According to the records, meetings continued until 10 February, 1987. The society was also known as the Salmon Arm Garden Club.