Salmon Arm Agricultural Society was formed in 1898 with the mandate to hold an Annual Fair and Cattle Show at Salmon Arm. The first fall fair was held in 1897. A search for permanent fair grounds was actively discussed in 1908. In 1910 a committee recommended the purchase of five acres at an estimated cost of two thousand dollars, the committee further recommended that a skating rink and exhibition building be built at a cost of three thousand dollars.
The Association received its certificate of incorporation in 1911 and then issued twenty-five dollar debentures to raise funds to build a hall. The building was opened in 1912. The fair was cancelled in 1914, for lack of stock sheds. The necessary sheds were completed and the fair was held in 1915.