Fonds 2007-152 - Saanich Council and committee minutes

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saanich Council and committee minutes

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA SMA 2007-152

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906 - 1969 (Creation)
    Creator
    Saanich (B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

76 v.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1906-)

Administrative history

The Municipality of Saanich was incorporated on March 1st, 1906. On March 10th of that year, the first council was sworn in and held its first meeting, selecting Thomas Brydon as Reeve. In 1908, the council decided to divide the municipality into six (and later seven) wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949.

Early council meetings were held in a small house on Glanford Avenue until a new municipal hall was built on West Saanich Road at Royal Oak in 1911. The current hall located at 770 Vernon Avenue opened in 1965. In 1970, the title reeve was changed to mayor.

Regular Council and Committee of the Whole meetings take place weekly, in accordance with the Council Procedure Bylaw; special meetings are scheduled as required. Minutes are recorded and processed by Legislative Division staff. Currently, Council and Committee of the Whole minutes from 1970 onward are held at the Legislative Services Division in the Municipal Hall. Saanich Archives retains the 1906-1969 minutes.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of volumes of Council Minutes, Committee Minutes, Advisory Planning Commission Minutes, Health Committee Minutes, Board of Licensing Commissioners Minutes, and indexes for the Corporation of the District of Saanich.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series level descriptions available

Associated materials

Associated material includes Clerk’s Files and Advisory Planning Commission Correspondence

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created April 27, 2012.
Revised by BCANS Coordinator, April 29, 2012

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres