Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Corporation of the District of Saanich
- Municipality of Saanich
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Municipality of Saanich was incorporated on March 1st, 1906. On March 10th of that year, the first council was sworn in and held its first meeting, selecting Thomas Brydon as Reeve. In 1908, the council decided to divide the municipality into six (and later seven) wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949.
Early council meetings were held in a small house on Glanford Avenue until a new municipal hall was built on West Saanich Road at Royal Oak in 1911. The current hall located at 770 Vernon Avenue opened in 1965. In 1970, the title reeve was changed to mayor.
Regular Council and Committee of the Whole meetings take place weekly, in accordance with the Council Procedure Bylaw; special meetings are scheduled as required. Minutes are recorded and processed by Legislative Division staff. Currently, Council and Committee of the Whole minutes from 1970 onward are held at the Legislative Services Division in the Municipal Hall. Saanich Archives retains the 1906-1969 minutes.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised by BCANS Coordinator, April 29, 2012