Collection MS 38 A2017.003 - Rossland School Board Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Rossland School Board Collection

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Photographic material
  • Records in electronic form (born-digital)
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title based on content of collection

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA RMDC MS 38 A2017.003

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1897-1985 (Creation)
    Creator
    Rossland School Board
    Place
    Rossland

Physical description area

Physical description

90 cm of textual records, photographs, scrapbooks, and maps.
Includes 8 sub-collections

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1895-[196?])

Administrative history

The Rossland School Board was the main administrator of Rossland’s schools since the first classes were held in 1895, in the Methodist Church. The School Board kept in contact with the Provincial Education Department, but were ultimately responsible for the schools administration, finances, and hiring decisions. Under their administration, the School Board built and operated Kootenay Avenue School/Rossland Public School (1896-1915), Central School (1898-1917), Cook Avenue School (1901-2002), MacLean School (1918-1981), and the Rossland High School/Rossland Secondary School (1951-2013). Rossland High School operated out of Cook Avenue School after the Rossland Public School closed and until the new high school was built in 1951. The name of the high school changed to the Rossland Secondary School sometime in the early/mid-1960s.

In 1960, the School Board merged with the Trail School District. Rossland’s schools are now under School District 20 (Kootenay-Columbia).

Custodial history

Unknown, through primarily FIC that was accessioned in 2017.

Scope and content

Ranging from 1896-1995, the Rossland School Board Collection consists of

  1. Minutes
  2. Correspondence
  3. Financial Records
  4. Legal Records
  5. Reports
  6. Resumes
  7. Report Cards and Examinations
  8. Lists
  9. Scrapbooks
  10. Ephemera
  11. Maps
  12. Specifications
  13. Clippings
  14. Photographs

Notes area

Physical condition

Fair

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Arranged according to RAD and institutional guidelines.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    Finding aids under development

    Associated materials

    Accruals

    Alpha-numeric designations

    BCAUL control number: RHM-1067

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    A2017.003

    Institution identifier

    Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre

    Rules or conventions

    RAD and Institutional guidelines.

    Status

    Revised

    Level of detail

    Partial

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Created: 9/11//2009
    Revised: 7/10/2022
    19/10/2022

    Language of description

    • English

    Script of description

      Sources

      Accession area