Fonds - Robson Memorial United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Robson Memorial United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906-1960 (Creation)
    Creator
    Robson Memorial United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

24 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Robson Memorial Church had its early beginnings in a Sunday School begun by the Rev. Ebenezer Robson in 1902. They met in a schoolhouse at 20th Avenue and Kingsway Street. In the same year Mr. Robson began holding church services there. A congregation was formally organized in 1902, and it became a station of the South Vancouver Circuit when that Circuit was organized in 1904. It would seem that the congregation was called Epworth Methodist Church, though this is distinct from an earlier Epworth Methodist Church that had opened in 1893, and was closed five years later. The congregation continued to meet in the school until June of 1906. In August 1907, a new church building was opened, and it was decided to call it Robson Memorial Methodist Church. In December of 1921, the church was destroyed by fire. For the next few years the congregation met in a nearby theatre until a new church was built and opened in December of 1925. The congregation, having come into the United Church that year was now known as Robson Memorial United Church. In 1965, Robson Memorial United Church amalgamated with Cedar Cottage United Church to form St. Luke's United Church.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of Robson Memorial United Church and its predecessor, Robson Memorial Methodist Church. Records include Baptism registers (1908-1960), Marriage registers (1908-1960), and Burial registers (1908-1958); Session minutes (1939-1952), Stewards minutes (1942-1952), Official Board minutes (1912-1952), Congregational meeting minutes (1939-1953); Sunday school staff meeting minutes (1929-1956); and Property records (1906).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.
Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-266

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN RS

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised October 1, 2010

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area