Robson Memorial United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Robson Memorial United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Robson Memorial Church had its early beginnings in a Sunday School begun by the Rev. Ebenezer Robson in 1902. They met in a schoolhouse at 20th Avenue and Kingsway Street. In the same year Mr. Robson began holding church services there. A congregation was formally organized in 1902, and it became a station of the South Vancouver Circuit when that Circuit was organized in 1904. It would seem that the congregation was called Epworth Methodist Church, though this is distinct from an earlier Epworth Methodist Church that had opened in 1893, and was closed five years later. The congregation continued to meet in the school until June of 1906. In August 1907, a new church building was opened, and it was decided to call it Robson Memorial Methodist Church. In December of 1921, the church was destroyed by fire. For the next few years the congregation met in a nearby theatre until a new church was built and opened in December of 1925. The congregation, having come into the United Church that year was now known as Robson Memorial United Church. In 1965, Robson Memorial United Church amalgamated with Cedar Cottage United Church to form St. Luke's United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes