Fonds - Revelstoke United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Revelstoke United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-1997, predominant 1906-1970 (Creation)
    Creator
    Revelstoke United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

1.14 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

For several years after the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway, services were conducted in Revelstoke under an arrangement between the Methodist missionary at Revelstoke and the Presbyterian missionary at Donald. In February of 1893 a Presbyterian congregation was organized, and in July of 1894 opening services were held at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. At a meeting of the Presbytery of Kamloops held in Sicamous on March 14th, 1905 permission was granted for the formation of a second congregation at Revelstoke. The new congregation was called Knox Presbyterian Church. In 1909 the two congregations, St. Andrew's and Knox were amalgamated and the new congregation was named St. John's Presbyterian Church. St. John's Presbyterian Church met in the former Knox Church building. In 1925 the congregation came into church union as St. John's United Church. In 1889 a Methodist congregation was established in Revelstoke. A dedication service for Revelstoke Methodist Church took place on January 4, 1891. In 1925 Revelstoke Methodist Church came into church union and was renamed Mackenzie Avenue United Church. Mackenzie Avenue United continued until 1927, when it amalgamated with St. John's United Church to become Revelstoke United Church. This amalgamated congregation decided to worship in the larger St. John's United Church building, and used the Mackenzie Avenue building as a Sunday School hall. In February 1937, Revelstoke United Church was gutted by fire. A new church was built, and was opened and dedicated in October, 1937. Revelstoke United Church continues to the present as a part of Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Revelstoke was established in 1894.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Revelstoke United Church and its predecessors, Revelstoke Methodist, Knox Presbyterian, St. John's Presbyterian and St. Andrew's Presbyterian. Records include Baptismal registers (1898-1954), Marriage registers (1898-1981), Burial registers (1900-1982); Circuit register (1892-1937), Communion roll (1893-1967); Session minutes (1983-1984), Stewards minutes (1931-1984), Board of Managers minutes (1905-1927), Official Board minutes (1891-1983), Trustees minutes (1924-1969), Congregational meeting minutes (1905-1983); Ladies' Aid cash book (1927-1934), Woman's Association minutes (1952-1961), Women's Missionary Society minutes (1932-1946), United Church Women organizational committtee minutes (1961); Sunday School minute book (1920-1936), Sunday School cash book (1917-1966); Busy Bee Sewing Circle minutes, membership roll and reports (1949-1961), Methodist Mission Society cash book (1907-1925), Kindergarten minutes (1948-1970); Correspondence (1892--1938); Worship Service Bulletins (1950-1954), Scrapbooks (1943-1975); Account book (1948-1971), Accounts (1916-1920), Cash book (1909-1944); Annual reports (1949-1997); and Newsletters (1988-1993).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-347

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area