Title and statement of responsibility area
Reginald (Rex) Lingford fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1909-1914] (Creation)
- Lingford, Rex
Physical description area
761 photographic prints;429 glass plate negatives
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Reginald (Rex) Percival Breillet Lingford was born in Birkenhead, England. He trained as a photographer at Villiers and Quick in Bristol, England. Lingford arrived in Salmon Arm in 1909, joining brothers Cecil and Kenneth and uncle, Charlie Ehlers. Shortly before emigrating, he purchased a full plate camera with a Ross-Zeiss lens at a second hand store in London.
Lingford opened a photography studio in Salmon Arm in the second McGuire Store, where the road to the wharf crossed the railway tracks. His competition was C.E. Woodbridge, who advertised "Toronto prices". Rivalry was well documented in the local newspaper, the Salmon Arm Observer. The competition was intense but brief, ending in October 1909 when Lingford purchased the Woodbridge business.
By August 5, 1910, Lingford had taken on a partner, W.J. Honey, and called the business "The Studio". Lingford operated his photographic business from 1909 to 1914. His best pictures were landscapes, a talent inherited from his father and grandfather, both landscape artists.
Lingford's career as a professional photographer ended with the beginning of WW I. He joined the BC Horse Infantry and received a medal for Bravery in the Field as a non-commissioned soldier. Later, as an officer, he received the Military Cross.
When Lingford returned to Salmon Arm, he felt no urge to resume work as a photographer. According to his memoirs, the financial reward was too small. On August 18, 1919, Lingford was appointed City Clerk and Collector, an administrative position with the City of Salmon Arm. The position paid $100 a month. He spent the next thirty-one years working as the city clerk, retiring August 31, 1950.
Rex Lingford married Laura Wilcox in 1921 and raised two children, Noel and Cynthia.
Rex Lingford returned to Salmon Arm a strong Christian. He made sense of the things he had seen in war through his belief in God. He was active in St. John's Anglican Church, serving as Rector's Warden and Church School Superintendent. He was secretary-treasurer of the Salmon Arm Boat Club and involved in the Salmon Arm Fish and Game Protective Association.
The glass plate negatives housed in this collection came from several sources. Bob Cran, a relative, found one set buried in the insulation in the attic of the Lingford house. Another set was discovered by Rollie Jamieson, a heating contractor and amateur historian. A third set was unearthed at the local dump.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of glass plate negatives, contact prints made from those negatives, and ephemera.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available. Online Finding Aid
BCAUL control number: SAM-3369