Title and statement of responsibility area
Prince Rupert Empire collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.1 cm of textual records 9 photographs : b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Prince Rupert Drydock and Shipyard was built between 1912 and 1913 at the eastern end of Cow Bay in Prince Rupert by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. It was built in anticipation of the freighters that the company thought would be coming to Prince Rupert to collect cargo destined for ports around the globe. It had a set of complete railroads running from all the buildings to various parts of the yard and docks, a lifting power of 20,000 tons, and a 604 ft. long by 130 ft. wide dock. The first manager was Joel H. Pillsbury. The first ship launched at the site was the Canadian Scottish, completed in 1921. In 1923, operations of the drydock were taken over by the Canadian National Railway under an agreement with the Federal Department of Public Works. During the Second World War, more than 2000 workers were employed at the drydock but after the war work slowed and in 1954 the drydock was officially closed. Three large pontoons were sold that year and towed to Seattle to be used by the Puget Sound Bridge and Dredge and Lockheed Shipyards. In 1966, the last parts of the drydock were dismantled.
The collection was purchased from the Grafton Bookshop, an antiquarian bookstore in Victoria, BC. The Northern BC Archives & Special Collections acquired the material in August 2000.
Scope and content
The collection consists of 9 photographs and copies of photographs showing scenes of Prince Rupert and area, groups of townspeople, a stone totem pole at Metlakatla, and a man poling a dug-out canoe probably on the Skeena River. It includes two newspaper clippings, one from the BC Saturday Sunset dated September 14, 1912 and another from The Globe dated Saturday March 23, 1907. The bound volumes of the Prince Rupert Empire newspaper were transferred to Special Collections. See accompanying note.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File and item lists available.
The bound volume of the Prince Rupert Empire newspaper is available from Special Collections, Geoffrey R. Weller Library, UNBC under the title “The Empire: Prince Rupert, British Columbia”. This bound volume contains the first twenty-six issues of the Prince Rupert Empire, Prince Rupert’s first newspaper, dating from Saturday July 20, 1907 to January 11, 1908 and inscribed to Mrs. Robert L. McIntosh, wife of Prince Rupert’s first postmaster and signed by the newspaper’s proprietor Mr. John Houston on June 22, 1908.
No further accruals expected.