Prince Rupert Drydock and Shipyard

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Prince Rupert Drydock and Shipyard

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1912- 1966

History

The Prince Rupert Drydock and Shipyard was built between 1912 and 1913 at the eastern end of Cow Bay in Prince Rupert by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. It was built in anticipation of the freighters that the company thought would be coming to Prince Rupert to collect cargo destined for ports around the globe. It had a set of complete railroads running from all the buildings to various parts of the yard and docks, a lifting power of 20,000 tons, and a 604 ft. long by 130 ft. wide dock. The first manager was Joel H. Pillsbury. The first ship launched at the site was the Canadian Scottish, completed in 1921. In 1923, operations of the drydock were taken over by the Canadian National Railway under an agreement with the Federal Department of Public Works. During the Second World War, more than 2000 workers were employed at the drydock but after the war work slowed and in 1954 the drydock was officially closed. Three large pontoons were sold that year and towed to Seattle to be used by the Puget Sound Bridge and Dredge and Lockheed Shipyards. In 1966, the last parts of the drydock were dismantled.

Places

Prince Rupert, BC

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places