Fonds - Port Kells United Church (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Port Kells United Church (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1932-1989 (Creation)
    Port Kells United Church (Surrey, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

33 cm of textual records
11 photographs
1 architectural drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The earliest Methodist services in the Port Kells area were held in a private home in 1888. In 1907, the Anniedale Methodist Church was built. From 1908-1914, the Anniedale Methodist Church was part of the Cloverdale Methodist Circuit, associated with Cloverdale, Clayton, Barnston Island and Mud Bay congregations. From 1914-1924 the circuit included only Cloverdale, Clayton and Anniedale. From 1924-1929 the church was linked with Tynehead and Sullivan congregations as part of the Cloverdale Pastoral. In October of 1929 the first United Church services was conducted in Port Kells. In 1933, services were temporarily discontinued while the Anniedale church was dismantled and moved to Port Kells, rebuilt on rented property. Services on the new site began again in 1934. In 1949 a new church was built on donated land at its present site. The Port Kells Mission Field then comprised Tynehead, Port Kells and West Langley preaching points. Port Kells continued on as its own Pastoral Charge until 1990, when it was closed as a United Church.

Name of creator


Administrative history

Clayton United Church, located in Surrey District Municipality, existed as early as 1925, at the time of church union; however, there is no indication in available sources as to its denominational affiliation and history before this time. Never an independent charge, it was part of a number of pastoral charges: Cloverdale Rural, Milner, Langley Prairie, Langley City and Port Kells, the latter charge being the last mention of Clayton United in yearbook statistics in 1967.

Name of creator


Administrative history

The post-war migration of veterans and their families to Vancouver's suburbs led to a large population growth in the Surrey district of Fleetwood. On February 15, 1951 a group of 23 women met to discuss the possibility of organizing a United Church congregation in Fleetwood. The first regular service of the United Church in Fleetwood in Port Kells pastoral charge was held in Fleetwood Community Hall on Palm Sunday, 1951. Work proceeded on a church building, which was dedicated in opening services on January 14, 1955. The church mortgage was completely paid off in December 1966. In October 1976, Fleetwood Memorial United Church started on a building program to provide a multi-purpose building to be used for both congregation and community activities. In November 1993 Fleetwood church members voted to begin negotiations with North Surrey United Church toward building a regional church. The amalgamation was completed in 1994 and the new congregation and pastoral charge of Northwood was created.

Name of creator


Administrative history

Early Presbyterian church services were held in Tynehead in the 1890s, in the Tynehead Schoolhouse. A church building was completed in 1903. In 1924 (one year before Church Union), Anniedale Methodist, Tynehead Presbyterian, and Sullivan Methodist were linked together into one pastoral charge, called "Cloverdale Rural." In 1925, it entered The United Church of Canada. By 1949, Tynehead was part of Port Kells Pastoral Charge. The congregation amalgamated with Port Kells United Church in 1965.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Port Kells United Church, West Langley United Church, Tynehead United Church, Clayton United Church and Fleetwood United Church. Records include Baptismal registers (1949-1988), Marriage registers (1951-1986), Burial registers (1951-1967); Membership records (1950-1988); Joint Official Board minutes (1932-1980), Joint Board Meeting minutes (1954), Stewards minutes (1953-1976), Official Board minutes (1953-1988), Congregational Meeting minutes (1953-1989), Annual meeting minutes (1956-1957), Church Building Committee minutes (1956); Official Board correspondence (1948-1987); Financial record books (1934-1988), Annual Financial report data and correspondence (1956-1987); Property records (1940-1980); Annual reports (1973-1987); Church bulletins (1982-1984); Newsletters (1973-1975); Congregational directories (1985-1986); and Photographs (1948-1958).

Notes area

Physical condition


Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred directly from Port Kells United Church to the Archives


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials


Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-338

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier


Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised March 26, 2014

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area