Title and statement of responsibility area
Playfair Park Mother's Group fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds
Level of description
CA SMA 2005-006
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1948 - 1974 (Creation)
- Playfair Park Mother's Group
Physical description area
10 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Playfair Park Mother's Group was established in 1948 to organize supervised children's summer programs for neighbourhood children age 4 to 16. Playfair Park in Saanich had been opened as a park in 1946. Once part of the original North Dairy Farm, the land was subdivided around 1912 but reverted to Saanich in a tax sale in 1924 and set aside for future park use. As with other parks in Saanich at the time, Playfair Park was run by a neighbourhood committee which received a municipal grant of $200 a year to be spent on permanent improvements. Saanich provided material, and the labour for improvements was carried out by volunteers. Volunteers of men cleared bushes and stumps (from trees logged years before) to form a grassy area. Pavement was poured for a children's area and water and electricity were installed by volunteers.
Playfair Park Mother's Group executive usually consisted of a president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary. Among the first committee members were Fran Dawson, president and Sylvia McKay, vice president, 1949.
Neighbourhood mothers raised funds for sports equipment and for a park assistant to run a 5-6 week program during July and August each year. The program included sports, pantomimes, costume competitions, crafts, dance instruction, swimming lessons at the Crystal Gardens in Victoria, field trips, barbeques and special celebrations. At the opening day in 1949, over 125 children were present.
In 1951, the neighbourhood group involved in Playfair Park also became involved in a similar project at nearby Reynolds Park. That year, it is reported that there were 14 parks in Saanich offering supervised summer programs run by volunteer groups: Playfair Park; Strawberry Vale; Marigold playground located at Iris Park; Qu'Appelle; Oak Street; Rosedale; Peter Hill playground at Braefoot Estate; Tolmie; Rudd Park; Rainbow; and newly opened Reynolds, Majestic; Hampton, and Maynard.
The custodial history of this fonds is not known. It came to Saanich Archives sometime between 1990 and 2004 and was possibly transferred from the Parks and Recreation Department.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the Playfair Park Mother's Group's activities at Playfair Park in Saanich from 1951 to 1974. Fonds includes administrative records, financial records, correspondence, and a scrapbook relating to Playfair Park (1948-1951) and Reynolds Park (1951-1956).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series level description available
Other records relating to playground groups in Saanich can be found in the Marigold Playground & Seniors Group Collection (2007-077) and the John Thomas Ball Collection [Rudd Park] (2012-008). These collections are also held by Saanich Archives.
Includes photographs and ephemera
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created March 23, 2012