Fonds - Players' Club Alumni fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Players' Club Alumni fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1934-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Players' Club Alumni

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm of textual records.
3 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1933-1965)

Administrative history

The Players' Club Alumni of The University of British Columbia was established in 1933 to provide an organization of past and future members of the Players' Club to help form a permanent theatre. With encouragement from Frederic G.C. Wood, the Players' Club Alumni (PCA) entered the 1933 Dominion Drama Festival with a one-act play, Fog, written and directed by Sydney Risk. Full-length productions began the following year with the presentation of Jules Romain's comedy, Dr. Knock, directed by Bea Wood. Ensuing productions included; By Candlelight, Fresh Fields, Once in a Lifetime, Boy Meets Girl, The Lady of Lyons, Lovers Leap, The Adding Machine and The Man Who Came to Dinner. The productions of Distant Point and Claudia following a brief war-time hiatus exhausted the clubs resources. The PCA returned in 1949 with the productions of three one-act comedies in the UBC Auditorium and also The Winslow Boy. In 1955, the club's production of The Crucible for the Dominion Drama Festival in Regina won the Calvert trophy for the best play at the Festival. The PCA continued with a number of productions all under the direction of John Brockington which included: The Living Room, I am a Camera, The Cherry Orchard, Waiting for Godot and The Potting Shed. In 1958, the club staged its last production, At Our Wit's End. Although it continued to exist for several more years, the PCA at its general meeting in July 1965 wound up its activities by voting to donate the residue of club funds to the Dorothy Somerset Scholarship Fund.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes (1951-1955), records of productions (primarily financial) (1934-1963), and miscellaneous other records generated by the Players' Club Alumni.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related records can be found in Frederic Wood fonds and Players╩╣ Club fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-1005

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres